A guitarist, or guitar player, of a band is the member who plays any variety of guitar. The guitarist usually stands to the side of the lead singer during a performance, usually opposite to the bassist.
Petra's founder Bob Hartman has been its main guitarist through most of its trajectory. However, there have been additional official guitarists that have performed officially with the band. Also, other guitarists have performed under an unofficial status as either session guitarists, or touring musicians.
These are the guitarists of Petra through its trajectory.
- Bob Hartman – 1972 to present (with a touring break during the late 90's)
- Greg Hough – 1972 to 1978
- Rob Frazier – 1978 to 1979
- David Lichens – 1995 to 1997
- Pete Orta – 1996 to 2000
- Kevin Brandow – 1996 to 1999 (and some shows through 2001)
- Quinton Gibson – 2001 to 2003
Other guitarists that have played with the band in some way are:
- Gerald Byron – Session musician that played guitar during the recording of Washes Whiter Than (1979)
- Joel Balin – Session musician that played guitar during the recording of Washes Whiter Than (1979)
- George Marinelli – Session musician that played guitars during several albums in the late 90's
- Dwayne Larring – Producer of Revival who also played guitars during the recording of the album